CHEMISTRY !
Thursday, February 12, 2009
  Liar Liar Pants On Fire!

All of us have lied at least once in our lives. Whether it’s a small, insignificant lie or a big whopping, fat lie. The great American observer Mark Twain, once wrote “Everybody lies ... every day, every hour, awake, asleep, in his dreams, in his joy, in his mourning. If he keeps his tongue still his hands, his feet, his eyes, his attitude will convey deception."

Lying comes from deep within us. Its our second nature. Lying is also a skill we use with wild abandon. Some people can lie well but some just suck at lying. Research has shown that both men and women lie with equal frequency. But women lie to make someone feel good. And men lie to make THEMSELVES look better.

Lying does not only include verbally. Other forms of lying include using make up, makeup, hairpieces, cosmetic surgery, clothing and other forms of adornment to disguise our true appearance. Even simple actions like crying crocodile tears and faking smiles are also considered as lying! Cool huh.

So the most important thing is :”WHY do we lie?”. Its very simple really, *drumrolls* we lie just because it works. Yes, its that simple. As homo-sapiens (humans lah), we must fit into a tight knitted society to succeed. so instinctively, our top priority is to help ourselves. If lying helps us, why not? Plus, lying is built into our body. We just lie instinctively! So you cant really blame us for lying.

I find this article to be a really interesting read as lying is a very common thing that we all can relate to. It also make good conversation topic as nobody will expect you to suddenly ask ‘do you know why we lie?’ I myself have of course lied one too many times. Its good to know that its not that I have been “bad” but I lie because it helps me. I have no idea before reading this article that lying is natural born. I have always thought that lying was learnt through years of experience! I was also shocked to find out that lies do not just include verbally. But putting on make up or spraying de-odorant is also considered as lying! That really came as a shock to me. So far this article has been a very eye-opening read for me. And I wont feel so bad about lying too. :D

This article is possible thanks to: http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=natural-born-liars

Done By: Lim Li Jun (8)
3 sincerity ~


____________________________________________________________________
 
Comments:
I think probably the biggest reason why we LIE is because WE CAN. Our intelligence is probably what sets us apart from any other living things.

A good choice of article, and I'm glad you enjoyed reading, as with me.

Keep it up.

Ms Chong
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives
February 2009 / March 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]



3SIN '09. Chemistry.Physics



The best you can ever imagine.